Sunday 4 November 2018

Variety is the spice of life..

Today had a bit of everything. I spent a couple of hours in the morning sanding (which was a little grim to be honest!). The cockpit locker lids need to be finished as soon as possible to stop the rain coming in (I am sick of having to empty them with a bucket and sponge). However, they were so wet when I removed them, I have had to leave them in the workshop for a few days to dry out. So my plan is to sand them down, then use epoxy to paint them, mix up some thickened epoxy and fill the gaps in then sand and paint them. For some reason I didn't take any decent pictures of them before I started. Here are some pics of them during:




As you can see, some of the wood was a little green and I wasn't too sure it was going to sand off. Here they are after :



As you can see, they still aren't perfect, but they should soak up the epoxy just fine and you wont see any marks under the paint. I should hopefully get these done in the next few days.

Then I decided to have a look at two of the sail bags that are aboard. I have not seen any of these before, so decided I better have a look. Here are 2 pics:



To my delight, the mainsail looks perfect, It is made by crusader sails and there are no rust marks or anything. There are a couple of small dirt marks but they look like they will wipe off. I might send them off to get cleaned anyway. The second bag looked like a sailcover and the sprayhood. I'm sure there is another bag under the forward berth (which currently has wood and cushions over it), so I will look for that in the next few days. I hope there is another bag, or I don't have a jib or genoa!

On the plus side, I do appear to have a yacht number with the Tomahawk logo! 6103Y - I am hoping the Tomahawk Owners Association may have some more information for me (if they ever answer their emails!).

The light was starting to fade too, so in the last half hour I had a quick look at the 4 winches on board. They all turn, and 2 of them are covered in green stuff, so I got some metal polish and gave them a quick spruce up. The green came off easily and I'm just hoping all the chrome will polish up.

Hopefully more to come in the next few days....


1 comment:

  1. I think the Y indicates that it is an RYA given number, for racing or the like.. might be worth checking with them...

    ReplyDelete